Monday, December 19, 2005

My ELO includes Jeff Lynne (and my Guess Who includes Burton and Randy)

I am a big Beatles fan. I also really like ELO and The Guess Who.

Jeff Lynne is the visionary - the songwriter, producer, lead vocalist, lead guitarist, the genius behind Electric Light Orchestra. He made it what it was, and created the great musical legacy.

The Guess Who were Canada's leading rock group. Burton Cummings is the voice and sould of the group, its chief songwriter and, with Randy Bachman from 1966-1970, the architect of its leap to success. There have been two reunion periods since the breakup in 1975 that have included Burton and Randy - in 1983, and from 1999-2003.

There are other incarnations, with similar names (in the case of ELO) or the name itself (in the case of The Guess Who). They still perform.

But for me, they're not the real things. Check who is in the group before you buy tickets. That's all I'm suggesting.