Sunday, January 08, 2006

Rock me gently ... on a weekend morning

I turned on CBC Radio 1’s Fresh Air program this morning to a really cool surprise. Andy Kim was performing a live acoustic version of his 1974 hit Rock Me Gently, with singer/songwriter Ron Sexsmith accompanying.

I have always loved this song.

In 1996, a 4-CD set of Canadian music called Oh What A Feeling was released. It featured most of the biggest Canadian tracks of the 70s (as well as some 60s, 80s and 90s), by artists from giants such as The Guess Who, Anne Murray and Gordon Lightfoot to newer artists such as Blue Rodeo and Alanis Morissette.

But the very first track I played was disc 3, track 21 – Rock Me Gently. I had searched for Andy Kim CDs but could not find any. So I was glad to be able to hear it.

It was even more cool to hear him on the radio this morning. Andy’s profile has been rising again lately; he’s even played in my neck of the woods, though I didn’t have the opportunity to attend. He’s got a number of concerts booked for 2006 at many locations in Canada, and some dates in the US.

His official web site is at www.andykimmusic.com.