Sunday, February 05, 2006

Definitely worth another viewing




On Her Majesty's Secret Service was released in 1969, but I first saw it 28 years ago today (on February 5, 1978). It is my very favourite 007 flick.

OHMSS is unique among James Bond movies for several reasons:
  1. It's the only one to star George Lazenby as Bond.
  2. It's the only one that the incredible Diana Rigg appears in.
  3. It is the only film in which Bond gets married.

Following in the footsteps of Sean Connery was no small feat. I thought Lazenby did a good job playing the suave secret agent. To me he seemed more urbane than Connery. And he brought an edge to the character that Roger Moore never did. (Don't get me wrong: Connery is my favourite Bond. But OHMSS is my favourite Bond movie, and Connery is not in it.)

We'll never know what might have happened if Lazenby had repeated the role in more movies. But in this outing, he holds up well as Bond gets tangled with Tracy Draco (played by Diana) and battles Blofeld (portrayed this time out by Telly Savalas).

The film has a strong plot, as Bond works to defeat Blofeld's plan to poison the world's food supply. (Maybe in 1969 bioterrorism seemed farfetched, but it doesn't now.) But it's his relationship with Tracy that gives the movie its heart and soul.

Diana brings equal amounts of strength and vulnerability in her performance as the troubled Tracy. (This was one of Diana's first roles after her run as Emma Peel on The Avengers, so I think she really put her heart into the part.) It's these characteristics that attract Bond to Tracy. I think there's great on-screen chemistry between the two characters, even if the on-set chemistry between the two actors was fizzly, at best.

Call me sentimental, but I was moved by the story. It has so much more depth than other Bond adventures. You can buy it on its own at Amazon.ca, or as part of a set of 007 DVDs.