Tuesday, April 11, 2006

S$# 015 Gene Pitney | That Girl Belongs To Yesterday

I decided to devote this week's song spotlight to a song by the recently departed Gene Pitney.

Though it's not as well known as his biggest hits like Town Without Pity and Twenty Fours Hours From Tulsa, Gene did a great job with this early Jagger / Richards composition.

For Mick and Keith, Gene's decision to record the song meant a boost to their credibility as a songwriting team. For Gene, it wasn't a big hit, but it was an opportunity to exercse his clear tenor voice on a smooth pop tune about a lost love.

Maybe there'll come a day, when I can smile and say
She used to be my girl

But now there's nothing left to say
She only wanted me for play
I learned my lesson fast, but now I know at last
That girl belongs to yesterday


TGB2Y is available on many Gene Pitney collections.