Monday, May 08, 2006

A Macca playlist, just solo and Wings

I'm one of those who has lamented that Paul McCartney doesn't play more of his solo / Wings catalogue in concert.

Don't get me wrong. I like hearing him do Beatles stuff. I'm a Fab fan first and foremost. But I think Macca does himself, and his 1970+ body of work a disservice by ignoring so much of it.

But I realize that he programs his concerts for the general fan. I know I'll never get to hear him do Wanderlust or Press in concert.

He can surprise us sometimes, though, eg doing Flaming Pie and Too Many People on his recent outings.

Anyway, that's a prologue to this post.

I have ripped a lot of my CDs and made MP3s. One of the advantages is that it's pretty easy to make, and remake, playlists.

So I thought I would put together a live set that features just solo and Wings stuff, from officially released sources. So here is an imaginary concert setlist, and a real playlist that I've created on my computer. I've listed the source of each track.

(WOA = Wings Over America; TTLF = Tripping The Live Fantastic; PIL = Paul Is Live; BITUS = Back In The US; BITW = Back In The World)

1. Medley - Venus And Mars, Rock Show, Jet (WOA)
2. Put It There (TTLF)
3. Let Me Roll It (WOA)
4. Maybe I'm Amazed (WOA)
5. Looking For Changes (PIL)
6. Picasso's Last Words (WOA)
7. Rockestra Theme (Kampuchea - from vinyl originally)
8. You Gave Me The Answer (WOA)
9. Magneto And Titanium Man (WOA)
10. Your Loving Flame (BITUS)
11. Here Today (BITUS)
12. My Love (WOA)
13. Ebony And Ivory (TTLF)
14. Listen To What The Man Said (WOA)
15. Let 'Em In (WOA)
16. Bluebird (WOA)
17. Calico Skies (BITW)
18. That Would Be Something (Unplugged)
19. Hope Of Deliverance (PIL)
20. This One (TTLF)
21. Silly Love Songs (WOA)
22. Beware My Love (WOA)
23. Driving Rain (BITUS)
24. Live And Let Die (TTLF)
25. Lonely Road (BITUS)
26. C Moon (BITUS)
27. Letting Go (WOA)
28. We Got Married (TTLF)
29. Coming Up (TTLF)
30. Every Night (Unplugged)
31. My Brave Face (TTLF)
32. Band On The Run (WOA)
Encore 1
33. Mull Of Kintyre (b-side)
34. Hi Hi Hi (WOA)
35. Soily (WOA)
Encore 2
36. C'mon People (PIL)

That wouldn't be the exact setlist I'd request if I ever had the opportunity to program a show for Paul. But it's fun to listen to what he's already put out. If I added in numbers from some bootlegs, it would be even more diverse.

Your mileage may vary.