Tuesday, October 24, 2006

S$# 043 Pink Floyd | Summer '68

I'm not a huge Floyd fan, though I recognize that they are/were an extremely creative and influential band, and they have a huge and loyal fan base.

Summer '68, written and sung by keyboardist Richard Wright, is from Atom Heart Mother, released in October 1970. To me, it doesn't sound like a typical Pink Floyd song. And Atom Heart Mother is not necessarily a typical Floyd album. (One review said this is "largely due to the influence of Ron Geesin who co-wrote the title track and the use of brass instruments and a choir to add texture and colour to the sound.")

Summer '68 has a great breezy pop feel to it, with layered harmony vocals reminiscent of the Beach Boys ( ! ), fluid piano playing and beefy horn flourishes. It tells the story of a one-night stand. But there may be more to it than this. The Wikipedia entry on the song says this:
The song also hints at the tedium of touring and a desire to escape from it all: 'My friends are lying in the sun, I wish that I was there...'

The song can also be interpreted as the metaphorical thoughts of someone returning from a magic mushroom trip, which typically last about 6 hours. Hence the lyrics, "We met just six hours ago..." and the continuing sensations and disillusionment with what's happening.

You'll never hear Summer '68 on a classic rock station - at least not the classic rock stations around here. (They seem to be stuck to about a half dozen tracks, taken variously from Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall and Wish You Were Here) That's too bad, because it showcases a different side of the group's great talent.

As far as I know, you can find the song only on Atom Heart Mother. It's not on any Pink Floyd collections.
Would you like to say something before you leave
Perhaps you'd care to state exactly how you feel
We said good-bye before we said hello
I hardly even like you, I shouldn't care at all
We met just six hours ago, the music was too loud
From your bed I gained a day and lost a bloody year
And I would like to know
How do you feel, how do you feel, how do you feel?

Not a single word was said, delights still without fears
Occasionally you showed a smile but what was the need
I felt the cold far too soon - the wind of '95
My friends are lying in the sun, I wish that I was there
Tomorrow brings another town and another girl like you
Have you time before you leave to greet another man
Just you let me know
How do you feel, how do you feel, how do you feel?

Good-bye to you
Charlotte Kringles too
I've had enough for one day