Monday, November 20, 2006

A$# 047 Andersson / Rice / Ulvaeus | Chess



As many readers guessed correctly from yesterday's post, this week I am highlighting Chess, the brilliant 1984 concept albumby ABBA meisters Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, and lyricist Tim Rice.

The album has many strong points: the musicality of Benny and Bjorn; Tim's sharp lyrics; presenting the game chess both literally - in high stakes international tournmants - and metaphorically for emotional betrayal, big egos and political intrigue; the magnificent voice of vocalist Elaine Paige....

The first track I heard from the album back in 1984 was One Night In Bangkok (sung by Murray Head), which became a worldwide hit. Because of that tune and finding out that the project involved Benny and Bjorn, I bought the double LP strightaway, and I was amazed.

A story of love triangles and emotional entanglement, "Chess is more about chess players than the actual game of chess," lyricist Tim once said.

In addition to 1NIB, standout tracks include:

  • Heaven Help My Heart - Elaine Paige
  • Anthem - Tommy Korberg
  • Pity The Child - Murray Head
and especially
  • I Know Him So Well, - Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson; it spent four weeks atop the UK charts

The storyline of Chess has been revised during several different productions of the show over the years. (Wikipedia has an extensive write-up about this.) Some productions have been more successful than others. I saw the original West End version in 1988 (unfortunately it was after Elaine had finished with the role) and really enjoyed it.

The original album is what still captures my imagination. I've had the CD more than 20 years now, and I still enjoy listening to this great musical work of the 1980s.

Track listing:

Disc 1:
1. Merano
2. The Russian and Molokov: Where I Want to Be
3. Opening Ceremony
4. Quartet (A Model of Docorum and Tranquilty)
5. The American and Florence: Nobody's Side
6. Chess
7. Mountain Duet
8. Florence Quits
9. Embassy Lament
10. Anthem

Disc 2:
1. Bangkok / One Night in Bangkok
2. Heaven Help My Heart
3. Argument
4. I Know Him So Well
5. The Deal (No Deal)
6. Pity the Child
7. Endgame
8. The Epilogue: You and I / Story of Chess