Tuesday, December 26, 2006

S$# 052 Mary Hopkin | Goodbye

Mary Hopkin followed up her 1968 smash hit Those Were The Days with Goodbye, released on March 28, 1969 on the Apple label.

Goodbye is a Lennon / McCartney song written by Paul. Mary's sparkling voice took the song to no. 2 on the UK charts (kept from the top spot by the Beatles' own Get Back).

It's a moving love song that really grabs the listener and tugs at the heart strings.
Please don't make me wait too late
Tomorrow comes and I will not be late
Late to day when it becomes tomorrow
I will leave to go a-way

Goodbye...goodbye...
Goodbye, goodbye, my love, goodbye

Songs that lingered on my lips excite me now
And linger on my mind
Leave your flowers at my door I'll leave them for
The one who waits behind

Goodbye...goodbye...
Goodbye, goodbye, my love, goodbye

Far away my lover sings a lonely song
And calls me to his side
When a song of lonely love invites me on
I must go to his side

Goodbye...goodbye...
Goodbye, goodbye, my love, goodbye

Goodbye is featured on the Mary Hopkin compilation album called Those Were The Days.