Tuesday, January 10, 2006

S$# 002 Guess Who | Of A Dropping Pin

It may not be surprising that I would cast my song spotlight on Of A Dropping Pin, a song first recorded on the cusp of The Guess Who’s transition from perpetual underdogs to international phenoms.

When I began seriously investigating the TGW back catalogue a couple of years ago, it was OADP, along with A Wednesday In Your Garden, that really caught my ear. These two tracks have in fact become my two favourite Guess Who songs.

OADP was the product of the growing song-writing collaboration of Randy Bachman and Burton Cummings (many composed on Saturdays in Burton’s grandma’s parlour). A mid-tempo rocker with catchy (if somewhat cryptic) lyrics, Of A Dropping Pin is a powerful piece of post-psychedelic pop. It was first released as a single in the fall of 1968 (just as the guys were off to New York City to record their breakthrough LP, Wheatfield Soul).
Can I be somewhere when I'm nowhere
Gaze through a diabetic eye
Can I put down the right to be put down
And never known the right to try
I'd leave and take my pride with me
And find something I could carry it in
But all that breaks the stillness here
Is the sound of a dropping pin.

As Winnipeg writer and TGW historian John Einarson noted, the song “was truly an artistic if not commercial knockout. Of A Dropping Pin was one of the most sophisticated collaborations, both instrumentally and especially lyrically, between the two songwriters. On this record, [producer] Jack [Richardson]’s savvy for arrangement and Burton’s blossoming lyrical talents bore fruit. That it fared even worse at #97 was a fate undeserving such a fine recording.”

The group rerecorded Of A Dropping Pin in the spring of 1969 for the Canned Wheat album. (The newer recording was also released as the b-side of the Maple Fudge single.) On CD you can find version 2 on Ultimate Collection and the remastered Canned Wheat. Also, the amazing This Time Long Ago 2-disc set contains an early version of the song recorded for the CBC’s Let’s Go program.