Tuesday, February 07, 2006

S$# 006 Elton John | The Last Song

Elton John released some albums in the 80s in which he seemed to have lost some of his vitality and genius. By the time of 1992's The One, he was back in form. The standout track for me is The Last Song, a moving tale of reconciliation between a man dying of AIDS and his father.
'Cause I never thought I'd lose
I only thought I'd win
I never dreamed I'd feel
This fire beneath my skin
I can't believe you love me
I never thought you'd come
I guess I misjudged love
Between a father and his son

Bernie Taupin's lyrics exude the candour and brilliance from the duo's heyday. Elton wraps the song in a moving (but not treacly) melody and sings the lyrics with a real sense of honesty.

The Last Song is available on The One. There are also a couple of live versions out.