Monday, March 13, 2006

A$# 011 Ringo Starr | Ringo



1973's Ringo is still Ringo Starr's signature album. After his first two eclectic releases, the nostalgic Sentimental Journey and country Beaucoups Of Blues, both from 1970, Ringo had scored a couple of high-charting singles, It Don't Come Easy and Back Off Boogaloo.

But for this pop effort, Ringo and producer Richard Perry brought together a large number of Ringo's friends and previous collaborators (including, of course, the other three Beatles - though no track featured all four of the Fabs).

John wrote the opener, I'm The Greatest, specifically for Ringo. The track features Ringo, John and George. (This was the most Beatles to appear on a record until George's All Those Years Ago eight years later.) George provided Sunshine Life For Me (Sail Away Raymond), You And Me (Babe) (co-written with Mal Evans) and the massive hit Photograph, which he co-authored with Ringo. Paul contributed Six O'clock. There was also a track by Randy Newman (Have You Seen My Baby?), a cover of the old Johnny Burnette hit You're Sixteen, which was also a smash, and some numbers by Ringo on his own or with songwriting partner Vini Poncia.

Photograph, Y16 and Oh My My were all huge hits. This was the perfect vehicle for Ringo, because it showcased his talent for straight-up rock and pop, tongue-in-cheek songs and having fun performing.

My favourite songs are Photograph, Oh My My, Six O'clock and Devil Woman.

The CD features three great bonus tracks - It Don't Come Easy and its autobiographical b-side, Early 1970, plus Photograph's b-side, Down And Out.


Track listing:
1. I'm The Greatest
2. Have You Seen My Baby?
3. Photograph
4. Sunshine Life For Me (Sail Away Raymond)
5. You're Sixteen
6. Oh My My
7. Step Lightly
8. Six O'clock
9. Devil Woman
10. You and Me (Babe)
plus bonus tracks on CD:
11. It Don't Come Easy
12. Early 1970
13. Down And Out