Tuesday, May 09, 2006

S$# 019 Ian Thomas | Coming Home

Coming Home by unsung Canadian music veteran Ian Thomas is one of my favourite songs from 1978. Note: It has nothing to do with the Jane Fonda / Jon Voight film of the same name (which happens to be one of my favourite movies of 1978).

The song deals with one of my archetypal themes - that of a person who's disconnected from his home, from his loved ones.

Bad times I've recalled, over the years have slowly faded
For the life of me they're gone
The things that pushed me away from you

Maybe I've changed, or maybe time makes things look better
Ah it's all the same so I'm down the highway

I'm tired of being alone
And getting stoned to pass the time

I'm comin' home, I've been away too long
Been away so long, I'm coming home
I'm comin' home, I've been away too long
Been away so long, I'm coming home


I think the song has aged well, and it sounds as good today as it did almost three decades ago. Perhaps in a future post, I'll address this question: why is Ian Thomas not a lot more famous? He's written some really great songs. (It seems he's better known for being the brother of SCTV alum Dave Thomas.)

Coming Home appeared on the album Still Here. It's also featured on the Looking Back Hits CD collection.