Saturday, June 03, 2006

Condiments or toppings?

In my last post, where I listed a bunch of popular condiments, I included cheese and bacon.

But are these condiments, or are they toppings? Over at Wiktionary, condiment is defined as "something used to enhance the flavor of food; salt or pepper for example".

IMHO, cheese and bacon really enhance the flavour of a hamburger, so it's fair to call them condiments. But some angry Brain Capacity readers feel otherwise. They say I should have limited the list to sauces, like ketchup and relish. According to them, bacon and cheese should be listed as toppings. Interestingly, they didn't complain about pickles or lettuce - just bacon and cheese.

I have a suspicion that these people have ties to the pork and dairy industries. I feel another lawsuit coming on!