Saturday, July 22, 2006

What sucks?

I borrowed a friend's iriver MP3 player. I tried to put some songs on it using Windows Media Player 10. That's the software that's supposed to work with this particular MP3 player.

But it didn't work.

I selected a bunch of songs and then tried to "synchronize" them. It stopped, giving an error message claiming that some of the selected files were not MP3 files. But they most decidedly are. I made 'em. I've played 'em on my computer.

So then I had to reboot (because the computer froze) and try again. I selected some different songs. When I tried to synchronize them, I got a message saying "Preparing to synchronize" - and then it just froze.

So I had to reboot again. I was too flummoxed to try again.

So what sucks? Is it the iriver player? Or Windows Media Player? Or Windows?

I don't know if other brands of players / software apps function like this.

Here's a suggestion: nstead of using stupid "syncrhonization" software, how about just having drag and drop? I put files on my flash drive all the time, and it's dead simple.