Tuesday, August 22, 2006

S$# 034 Electric Light Orchestra | Don't Walk Away

Jeff Lynne has written several fabulous romantic ballads throughout his long career; it's sad that the world at large has not taken notice of this and recognized yet another facet of the man's genius.

My favourite of his love songs is definitely Don't Walk Away, which was one of ELO's contributions to the Xanadu soundtrack album in 1980. DWA was released as single in the UK, reaching no. 21 on the British charts, but did not get airplay on this side of the pond.

What is it about Don't Walk Away that makes it stand out? (It's not that I associated it with a great teenage relationship; for me it was about unrequite, as most love songs were!) There's an atmosphere about the song; one can really identify with the singer as he laments a love that is slipping away.

Jeff's plaintive lead vocal, with multi-layered backing vocals acting almost like a Greek chorus, delivers reptition of certain lyrical passsages. This creates an emotional, almost surreal, aural canvas. The instrumentation, mostly keyboard-driven, takes a back seat in this song, next to such powerful singing.
Why do I say, don't walk away
You'll be the way you were before, when you don't want me anymore

Don't turn around, don't ever leave
A lonely room where empty days
Are gathering to meet me when you're gone, gone
How in the world will I go on?

(Don't walk away) all you gotta do is stay
(Don't walk away) all you gotta do is stay (don't walk away)

Chorus:
Don't walk away (don't walk away)
Don't say goodbye (don't say goodbye)
Don't turn around (don't turn around)
Don't let it die (don't let it die)
When shadows fall (when shadows fall)
When day is done (when day is done)
All through the night (all through the night)
All of my life (all of my life)
Don't walk away

Is it a dream, when will it end?
When everything we've ever known has ended and I'm all alone

Where will I go, where will I be?
The feelings that I've never shown
Maybe I'll find the answer when you're gone, gone
How in the world will I go on?

(Don't walk away) all you gotta do is stay
(Don't walk away) all you gotta do is stay

DWA is available on the Xanadu soundtrack, which is scheduled to be remastered as part of the upcoming ELO-reissue series. It's also been included on several UK ELO compilations.