Thursday, September 28, 2006

Apply for this job

Multinational Corporate Corporation Company Inc. (MCCCI) [the name has been changed to protect the guilty] is currently accepting online applications for Exploited Worker positions at its web site. The applicant has to provide the usual information about past employment experience, references etc., but there are also some questions that need to be answered.

For posterity, or perhaps pomposity or priggishness or to parade my perspicacity, I have preserved the questions here, and I present them for your perusal.

***

1. Do you agree with our privacy policy? [The privacy policy is set out on the screen.]

2. Can you provide verification of your legal right to work in Canada?

3. Are you between the ages of 18 and 65?

4. Do you have a High School Diploma or equivalent?

5. We are currently recruiting Exploited Worker contract positions. The contracts are typically renewable on a 12-week basis. Are you willing to accept a contract production position with MCCCI?

6. Are you willing and able to work rotating shifts?

7. Are you willing, upon request, to work daily and weekly overtime hours beyond those in your regular workday and regular workweek?

8. New hires may be assigned to our Arctic plant or our Antarctic plant, and may be required to transfer from one location to the other while employed by Multinational Corporate Corporation Company Inc. Are you willing to work at both the Arctic and Antarctic locations?

9. Prior to a job offer are you willing to provide and allow MCCCI to contact your work-related references?

10. Have you ever been discharged from employment or been given a disciplinary action or suspension? Do not include layoffs or plant closings.

11. Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence for which a pardon has not been granted?

12. In the past three years have you previously participated in the selection process with Multinational Corporate Corporation Company Inc. for a Exploited Worker contract position?

13. How many full-time jobs have you had in the last 5 years?

14. How many temporary/contract jobs have you had in the last 5 years?

15. How many seasonal jobs have you had in the last 5 years?

16. Have you previously been employed with Multinational Corporate Corporation Company Inc.?

17. How many years of previous manufacturing or production experience do you have?

18. Why are you interested in working with Multinational Corporate Corporation Company Inc. (MCCCI)?

19. Why are you interested in an Exploited Worker contract position?

20. If employed, why are you considering leaving your current job?

[Then the real fun starts in the following section.]

1. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - I must pay attention to small details.
Job B - I am not able to see the outcome of my work.

2. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - I perform the same motion repeatedly.
Job B - I have little or no opportunity to change job tasks.

3. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - My supervisor watches me very closely.
Job B - If I am not careful, I could easily get hurt on the job.

4. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - The work I do makes me physically tired.
Job B - I perform duties that are mindless.

5. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - My pay is based on the amount of time I’ve been with the organization.
Job B - I am told exactly how to perform my tasks.

6. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - I rarely have downtime.
Job B - I work the same schedule every day.

7. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - There is constant noise around me.
Job B - For short periods of time, I am very busy; other times there is nothing to do.

8. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - My pay is based on the quantity of work I produce.
Job B - My job demands a lot of flexibility in my schedule.

9. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - Others frequently review my work.
Job B - I have to try to figure out how to do things on my own.

10. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - I am physically active at work.
Job B - I am paid based on experience and skills.

11. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - I have the same routine every day.
Job B - It takes a long time for me to hear about the quality of my work.

12. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - I only communicate with my co-workers when I have a question.
Job B - I must receive approval before changing my task.

13. Read both statements carefully and decide which job you would prefer.
Job A - I perform the same task for a long period of time.
Job B - There is no problem solving in my job.

14. Do you agree with this statement? [There is a statement with a bunch of legalese gobbledygook.]

***

Do you want to work there? Apply now!