Tuesday, September 05, 2006

S$# 036 Tracey Ullman | They Don't Know

Some weeks, I have a grand design in mind when I pick which song so spotlight. At other times, some serendipitous brain wave leads me to my decision.

This week's number is clearly in the latter category. I'd forgotten about Tracey Ullman's 1983 hit, They Don't Know, until a Macca buddy posted a link to the video of the song on youtube.com - the video features a cameo appearance by Paul McCartney. Tracey appeared the next year in Paul's Give My Regards To Broad Street.

Known primarily as a highly talented comic actor, Tracey managed to have a respectable, albeit brief, pop career in the mid-1980s. Her album You Broke My Heart in 17 Places produced two hits: the title song and You Don't Know, a cover of the song by Kirsty MacColl. (Apparently she used the actual backing tracks from Kirsty's recording, and added her own vocal track.)

It's a song about the joy of a newfound love love. It's not the weightiest of songs, but as allmusic describes the sound,"it's kitschy pop fluff at its best."
Baby!
There's no need for living in the past
Now I've found good lovin' gonna make it last
I tell the others 'Don't bother me'
Cause when they look at you they don't see what I see

No I don't listen to their wasted lines
Got my eyes wide open and I see the signs
'Cause they don't know 'bout us
And they've never heard of love

YDK is on You Broke My Heart in 17 Places and a couple of compilation albums.