Tuesday, March 21, 2006

S$# 012 Moody Blues | Question

Question is one of my favourite songs by those veteran cosmic rockers, The Moody Blues. It's from their 1970 album, A Question Of Balance.

I've always admired their music from that era. It's grandiose, progressive, hip. And they explore themes from the pursuits of a single day to mind-expanding cosmic consciousness, but always with an eye to musicality.

Question really works because it incorporates all that in one song. It evokes larger-than-life issues and simple longing for companionship. (It was influenced by the ongoing Vietnam War.) Its raucous opening and closing are complemented by a more personal, instrospective middle section. And it features Justin Hayward's best strumming ever.

Just read these words:
Why do we never get an answer
When we're knocking at the door?
With a thousand million questions
About hate and death and war.

It's where we stop and look around us
There is nothing that we need.
In a world of persecution
That is burning in its greed.

And it's balanced by this:
I'm looking for someone to change my life.
I'm looking for a miracle in my life.
And if you could see what it's done to me
To lose the the love I knew
Could safely lead me through.

Between the silence of the mountains
And the crashing of the sea
There lies a land I once lived in
And she's waiting there for me.

But in the grey of the morning
My mind becomes confused
Between the dead and the sleeping
And the road that I must choose.

Question is also featured on many Moody Blues compilations.