Monday, May 15, 2006

A$# 020 Byrds | Fifth Dimension



The Byrds' third album stands tall in the psychedelic canon of popular music in 1966. Fifth Dimension may not have quite the same pedigree as the Beatles' Revolver or the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, but it is a memorable album, not least for the famous Eight Miles High.

It was a time of one of many transitions that took place during the Byrds' storied career. Vocalist Gene Clark left the group (but not before contributing to 8MH). The album also featured no Bob Dylan songs. It showed great progress in the songwriting of Roger McGuinn and David Crosby.

There are many standout tracks. Eight Miles High was a John Coltrane-inspired tale of the band's first trip to the UK, though of course it was considered by many to be full of drug references. (And who knows? Maybe it really is.)

Mr. Spaceman could be considered a novelty hit, but it's so well done that it outflanks its gimmicky origins. There are great renditions of traditional songs, like Wild Mountain Thyme and John Riley, and the haunting Hiroshima-inspired I Come And Stand At Every Door.

But my favourite is the opener, 5D, which features some of Roger McGuinn's strangest and strongest lyrics.

Oh, how is it that I could come out to you,
And be still floatin',
And never hit bottom but keep falling through,
Just relaxed and paying attention?

All my two-dimensional boundaries were gone,
I had lost to them badly,
I saw that world crumble and thought I was dead,
But I found my senses still working.

And as I continued to drop through the hole,
I found all surrounding,
To show me that joy innocently is,
Just be quiet and feel it around you.

The Byrds would continue to experiment, continue to go through transitions,and continue to innovate. But for me, Fifth Dimension is their apex.

Track listing:
1. 5D (Fifth Dimension)
2. Wild Mountain Thyme
3. Mr. Spaceman
4. I See You
5. What's Happening?!?!
6. I Come and Stand at Every Door
7. Eight Miles High
8. Hey Joe
9. Captain Soul
10. John Riley
11. 2-4-2 Fox Trot (The Lear Jet Song)
plus bonus tracks on remastered CD:
12. Why? (Single Version)
13. I Know My Rider (I Know You Rider)
14. Psychodrama City
15. Eight Miles High (Alt - RCA Studios Version)
16. Why (Alt - RCA Studios Version)
17. John Riley (Instrumental Version 1)