Tuesday, May 16, 2006

S$# 020 Chicago | Gone Long Gone

Gone Long Gone is an album cut from Hot Streets, the 1978 album that marked several changes for Chicago. It was an unnumbered album, the first following the sad death of Terry Kath, and the first without producer James William Guercio. They brought in legendary producer Phil Ramone to help shape the sound.

Written by bassist Peter Cetera, GLG tells of a lover who's taken off and is, well, gone long gone. But it doesn't come across as a sad song. The upbeat arrangement, with Chicago's ever present horns and some great guitar work by newcomer Donnie Anus, precludes any sad song cliches. It also features Peter's great voice on lead vocal.

I thought for the rest of my life
You'd see me through it
Guess all along I knew it
Nothing mattered everything was all right
When you saw to it
Before I knew it you were gone long gone

Originally on Hot Streets, Gone Long Gone is also included in the Group Portrait box set.