Tuesday, May 23, 2006

S$# 021 Elvis Presley | Edge Of Reality

Edge Of Reality doesn't have the same profile as A Little Less Conversation, another track from the Live A Little, Love A Little soundtrack that became a latter-day hit for the King when it was remixed in 2002 and included on 30 #1 Hits.

No, EOR doesn't have that profile. But I think it's one of Elvis Presley's better movie songs from the late 60s. It's been described as atmospheric and moody. That's a fitting description. The song, written by Bill Giant, Bernie Baum and Florence Kaye, doesn't have a fast tempo; it sort of slinks along, with a full horn section accompaniment.
I walk along a thin line darling
Dark shadows follow me
Here’s where life’s dream lies disillusioned
The edge of reality

Oh I can hear strange voices echo
Laughing with mockery
The border line of doom I’m facing
The edge of reality

I'm not sure how it fits with the film, in which the king plays a newspaper photographer who meets a strange young women with different personalities, because I haven't seen it.

Edge Of Reality is featured on the Live a Little, Love a Little/Charro!/The Trouble With Girls/Change of Habit soundtrack CD, and also on Command Performances - The Essential 60's Masters Vol. II.