Saturday, July 01, 2006

Save Studio 2

I'm a frequent watcher of TVO's flagship current affairs show, Studio 2. So I was quite dismayed to hear a couple of days ago that it is being cancelled.

Though TVO execs and the government deny it, this seems, to my mind, like a political move. The announcement just happened to take place on the same day that Education Minister Sandra Pupatello made an announcement about funding for digital transmission facilities for the network (good) and a refocus of its educational mandate (which could mean good or bad things.)

Studio 2 is an excellent show that covers topics very well - perhaps too well in the case of stories that embarrass the current government

There will be a new show called The Agenda that will be hosted by Steve Paikin, but I worry. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I will have to write some letters to the powers that be about this.